Friday, February 24, 2012

25


(AN UNMATCHED LEFT PARENTHESIS CREATES AN UNRESOLVED TENSION THAT WILL STAY WITH YOU...





ALEX: So trust me when I say if a guy is treating you like he doesn’t give a shit, he genuinely doesn’t give a shit. No exceptions.

    —He’s not that into you, 2009, Ken Kwapis.




LONG TIME AGO, I was involved in an exhaustive research when I met a guy in a cocktail party. After a brief chat, between puffs of potato and broccoli arggg…, he asked me to take a look at it.  

Because of his insistence and after wondering for a while whether to share it with him or not, I gave in. So I gladly sent it to him.

But the left parenthesis never matched. He never uttered a word about it.

This story reminds me that sometimes we send an e-mail, a happy birthday or make a phone call, and we never get to hear from the other party. What's wrong with them?

I know that people are busy, involved in their stuff. I know that sometimes, and only sometimes, e-mails get lost in the cyberspace, phone calls never reach the recipient, so I usually send a reminder.

Even so, some of them never answer back.

So once I reflected on those silences and I tried to answer why some people don’t reply messages. Even I started manufacturing random situations with my particular Monte Carlo machine:

Perhaps they don’t care.

Perhaps they don’t have time to answer.

Perhaps they forget to reply.

Perhaps they fear to convey a negative answer.
  

How do we make peace with such an insulting and demeaning silence? How has someone the guts to ask for something and then not even say thank you? Where have the good manners gone? Is it due to lack of integrity, honesty, and truthfulness?

Over the years, I've learned that there is an important principle to apply in cases like that: Self-respect.

So I’ll tell you what I usually do.

I wait for an answer for some time UNTIL ONE UNEXPECTED DAY, I GO TO MY DESK, LOG IN, AND FREE OF RESENTMENT, I PLACE ).


Copyright © 2012 by THE PYTHAGOREAN STORYTELLER. All rights reserved.


2 comments:

Annie Crawford said...

Hi, Merce.
I found you on Blogger, and I've visited your blog now (obviously). I read a couple of your posts, and I think they're really good! (It's a relief to find a blog that's not about vampires ; ). I found the post on marriage inspiring. I'm now an official follower of your blog! I'd love it if you'd check mine out, and if you like what you see, become a follower. It's at http://www.magicandthemuse.com. Thanks! Annie

Unknown said...

Yes,Annie, there are indeed many vampires out there, and some quite real :) Thank you so much for your comment. Much appreciate it. I've already checked and subscribed to your blog. It's very interesting. Good luck with your new book!